Monday 7 June 2010

The Ego at Work

During my investigations into 'drawing with as little thought as possible' the following drawing was produced by one of the people I asked. I think the artist misunderstood me and thought I wanted him to draw with no thought whatsoever. At first I thought I could not use it as a valid piece due to it so blatantly being full of thought. It occurred to me later that this drawing is an excellent example of the ego at work, the opposite of my initial intentions. The person drawing was too conscious of his actions due to the ego part of his brain (the part that is most conscious and organised) working in full force. It truly is difficult to release the ego while drawing. I don't attempt to rid it completely because that is impossible. Or is it?












"...The ego is that part of the id which has been modified by the direct influence of the external world ... The ego represents what may be called reason and common sense, in contrast to the id, which contains the passions ... in its relation to the id it is like a man on horseback, who has to hold in check the superior strength of the horse; with this difference, that the rider tries to do so with his own strength, while the ego uses borrowed forces [Freud, The Ego and the Id (1923)]"

No comments:

Post a Comment